Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Re-Thinking the Pack

For anyone who's keeping score, I recently drew up some plans to build a utilitarian little pack named the Mother Ship. Well I have been giving it some thought, crunching some numbers, and thinking about it all some more. Concluding, I have made some alterations to what I have in mind.

My intent was to have an adaptable pack I can use for a variety of activities. After thinking about designs, and looking at pictures I have outlined some key bases I am looking for in the pack. Simple, adaptable to load size, and comfortable to carry. So I am now leaning in the direction of a lumbar pack. 

I have looked at many lumbar packs, and unfortunately it it very hard to find a large sized pack. Most are designed for jogging or small day hikes. I was eyeing the Kifaru brand packs, specifically the Scout, but I cannot justify the price tag on their gear. As bomb proof and well designed as it may be, $203? Ouch! Plus you have to buy the waist belt separate. I figured their had to be a less expensive way to meet my demands. So back to the original idea of sewing my own? Well.....

After crunching the numbers I calculated it would run me about $80, plus or minus, to obtain the materials I would need to create whatever design I came up with, plus time to build it. While I would love to make my own pack, especially a custom designed lumbar pack, I wanted to find another option. So what now you ask? Well Mountainsmith...that's what. 

The Mountainsmith Day lumbar pack, I forgot all about Mountainsmith's line of lumbar packs, seems to fit the bill. It has plenty of size for storage, and straps for load compression. It has a suspension system and the ability to add a pair of shoulder straps called Strapettes, and every review of it I have read is good. And the price tag for the Mountainsmith Day? Well with some judicious searching it can be had for around $70 with the Strapettes. 


One of the things I really think will prove useful for me is the rigging for the Strapette addition. The straps seem well designed and functional, and I'm sure they work great, but it allows me to create my own straps in the future, or adapt another strap system.  I was thinking I might want to add a homemade pouch to fit my sleeping gear and shelter in the upper part of my back and could use the Condor H-Harness in which to attach it.

The main question I had for the Mountainsmith Day was, can I fit a military style canteen in the water bottle pouches on the sides? Well after querying a forum where they were being discussed I was reassured that they will fit. I want the option to carry the Nalgene canteen bottle and my canteen cup.  Thus allowing me to always be able to have a small cook kit packed away for outings. I also have plans to create a simple "shower cap" style rain cover to deal with all of the Pacific Northwest rain that is just around the corner. 


3 comments:

  1. That Scout is the hotness. Gotta say. Pricey though it may be, I love mine. And part of the price is the fact that they make it here in the US. Not like Patrick Smith's former company, which now has everything made in Asia.

    I've looked at the Mountainsmith Day lumbar pack and I'm still considering it.

    I'm working on a waist pack idea that I could wear as a lumbar pack or a sling bag, but that most importantly, can be worn on the front as well, so that when I have my pack on, I can still get at all the important things. I also want to be able to carry a water bottle (or preferably two). I think of putting them on the sides, but have to wonder how little fun it will be to have two, 1 liter nalgenes hanging off the sides. Heavy, bouncy. Thought of having just one, and have it right in the center, with smaller pouches on the side. Still trying to figure it out. If the Day can manage two bottles on the side, and people aren't complaining about it, that is a good sign.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I would love to have a Scout don't get me wrong. If you ever decide to get rid of yours let me know, but I doubt I'm the only person to tell you that. haha

    I agree. I am willing to pay a little more for a North American made product. If you find a Mountainsmith Day Classic they were made here in the US. They did a run of them awhile back for a holiday deal or something.

    Everything I have read about the Day is good. The water bottle pockets seem pretty solid and have bungies to adjust to the top of the bottle. Quite a versatile little pack, even if it's not covered in PALS webbing.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nah, don't want to part with my Scout. The other ones I have I think I will actually part with one day.

    Take some pictures when you get it. I want to see more photos of the inside. All I seem to be able to find are the same ¾ view shot the manufacturer puts out.

    ReplyDelete